Thursday, April 10, 2008

Dipping Into A Good Book


I just finished the latest book from Linda Francis Lee, The Ex-Debutante. This one is a romp! As much as I enjoyed The Devil in the Junior League, there was a teensy bit of New Yawk sensibility to it that wasn't quite to my taste. This time around, Ms. Lee hit just the right note.

The Ex-Debutante is the story of a young moneyed Texan who chose to move to Boston to practice law and make a fresh start. When her mother calls her home three years later with a family emergency, Carlisle finds herself sucked back in to family drama including her crunchy sister in law's struggles with an orange-haired teenager, her sister's all-consuming fertility battles complete with hormonal mood swings that make Sigourney Weaver's alien look like a lap dog, and her mother's umpteenth divorce. Somehow in the midst of all this she gets roped into organizing a debutante ball and coaching eight very challenging young women for a presentation complete with the dreaded "Texas Dip". Oh! and did I mention the sizzling lawyer in tight jeans representing her mother's husband?

Yep, I loved this book and most especially I loved how the characters ring true. In turns funny, outrageous, and very touching, The Ex-Debutante is a one sit read. You don't have to be a Texas deb to be unable to put this book down.

Now for those of you who are wondering, did I do the infamous "Texas Dip" at my debut? The answer is no, my old-line DC blue book mother called it a "spectacle". However, I'll have you know that in my day I could do it very gracefully, thank you, and I still think it's one of the most lovely things I've ever seen when done correctly.

Lucky for you it's also quite fun when it's a bit creaky like this video featuring a beautiful woman attempting it that I found in a random search. Listen as the older Texas gentleman in the chair coaches her. It makes me want to run over and give them both a big hug. Click here to Enjoy!