Friday, March 21, 2008

Why I Am a Proud Feminist #3

In 1939 DuBose Heyward wrote a very special Easter story called The Country Bunny and the little gold shoes. It is the story of "a little country girl bunny with a brown skin and a little cotton ball of a tail" who said, "Some day I shall grow up to be an Easter Bunny:-you wait and see!"

This is one of the first books I remember my Grandfather reading to me. I asked him why the big white rabbits who lived in fine houses and the Jack Rabbits with long legs told her to take care of her babies and "leave Easter eggs to great big men bunnies like us". He just asked me how that made me feel. Then he said she probably felt just the same way.

After that my Grandfater would read how the little Cottontail, fell and was hurt but kept getting back up again. I'll never forget when he turned me around to face him and said "That is exactly what I expect you to do, too."

Well, I may not have twenty-one children and a pair of gold shoes but I think he'd be pleased nonetheless. Now if you'll excuse me, it's time to turn off the wii, and have the kids snuggle up to read our annual favorite. Happy Spring, y'all.