I am a movie lover. As a little kid I spent a huge amount of time with my grandfather in movie theaters. I never got over that amazing feeling when the lights go down and that enormous screen lights up. Magic! Nowadays Spouse and I don't see many movies first run in the theater. It's just too expensive to plunk down the big bucks for something that may or may not be worth seeing. However, between my childhood TV addiction and my pre-responsibility days movie theater addiction and the wonder of DVDs, I expect I've probably seen more movies than I should and today's meme proves it.
Y'all know I luvs me some memes, but this one features 250 movie titles. 250! I'm afraid that is just too many for me to get my snark on with in just one sitting so I'm splitting it into two posts over the weekend,
Bold the ones you’ve seen, italicize the ones you’ve seen part of.
1. The Godfather (1972) During a bout of chicken pox in 1970, after Cap'n Kangaroo and Dinah Shore, I picked up my Mum's copy of Puzo's book. I didn't put it down again until I'd read it all the way through and some parts twice (I was 8/No, Mum didn't mind/Yes, I've read it again). One of the few movies as good as the book.
2. The Shawshank Redemption (1994) a rape movie, but I still liked it.
3. The Godfather: Part II (1974) One of the few sequels as good as the original
4. Buono, il brutto, il cattivo, Il (1966) The Good the Bad and the Ugly. Blech.
5. Pulp Fiction (1994) another rape movie, but I still love it.
6. Schindler’s List (1993) Mmm, Ralph Fiennes before the Quantas incident knocked him off my to-do list.
7. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975) Perhaps it was Ralph Fiennes?
8. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
9. Casablanca (1942)
10. Shichinin no samurai (1954) Seven Samurai Is it just me, or do all these Kurasawa films just sort of blend together? This is the only one that I can remember clearly.
11. Star Wars (1977) After about our fourth time going to see this, Mum bent the rules and allowed me to go to the movies alone. The only movie (other than Rocky Horror) that I ever stood in line for.
12. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) Mmm, Viggo...
13. 12 Angry Men (1957)
14. Rear Window (1954)
15. Goodfellas (1990)
16. Cidade de Deus (2002) City of God
17. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) I miss Karen Allen
19. C’era una volta il West (1968) Once Upon a Time in the West
20. The Usual Suspects (1995)
21. Psycho (1960)
22. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) 23. Fight Club (1999)
24. Citizen Kane (1941) Not overrated. If you haven't seen it, please do.
25. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
26. North by Northwest (1959)
27. Memento (2000)
28. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) Mmm, Viggo...
29. Sunset Blvd. (1950) One of my all-time favorites
30. It’s a Wonderful Life (1946) George Bailey reminds me of Hamlet, always overthinking things. Would that make Clarence Laertes?
31. The Matrix (1999) Beat out Lawrence of Arabia for most visually stunning film I've ever seen, but not by much
32. Lawrence of Arabia (1962) So gorgeous. Must never be seen in anything but wide format.
33. There Will Be Blood (2007) I like the brother from Little Miss Sunshine, so I'll rent it despite DDL
34. Se7en (1995)
35. Apocalypse Now (1979) This movie gave me such a crush on Laurence Fishburne, I'm still crushin' on him today. His Othello? Definitive. Mmm, Larry...
37. American Beauty (1999) Absolutely did not want to see this movie. Creepy pervy previews. Too wonderful when I actually saw it.
38. Léon (1994) The Professional Yes, I watch this over and over. Doesn't everyone?
39. Vertigo (1958)
40. Fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulain, Le (2001) Amelie
41. American History X (1998)
42. No Country for Old Men (2007)
43. The Departed (2006)
44. Paths of Glory (1957) Wait. Kirk Douglas & Kubrick? How did I miss this?
45. M (1931) Putting this on my list of to see flicks
46. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) Was I the only adolescent girl in America who thought Scout was a pratt?
47. Chinatown (1974)
48. The Third Man (1949) I liked Pinky and the Brain's version better.
49. Leben der Anderen, Das (2006) The Lives of Others
50. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) Over rated and dull
51. A Clockwork Orange (1971) So darn good
52. Alien (1979)
53. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
54. Laberinto del fauno, El (2006) Pan's Labyrinth Sad and beautiful
55. The Shining (1980) Better on screen than on paper
56. Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (2001) Spirited Away Why do I let the children talk me into watching this awful anime stuff? Barf.
57. The Pianist (2002)
58. Double Indemnity (1944)
59. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) What's more fun than watching this as a kid? Watching your kids see it the first time. Priceless.
60. Forrest Gump (1994)
61. Saving Private Ryan (1998) No desire to see this movie. Ever.
62. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) Earworm: Comet, it makes your teeth turn green...Comet, it tastes like gasoline...
63. L.A. Confidential (1997) Sorry. No mmm for Russell Crowe, but Kim Basinger was amazing.
64. Boot, Das (1981)
65. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
66. Reservoir Dogs (1992)
67. Untergang, Der (2004)Downfall
68. Aliens (1986)
69. The Maltese Falcon (1941)
70. Raging Bull (1980) Who else thinks Di Nero is an annoying swish?
71. Metropolis (1927) If you haven't seen this movie, do it now. I'll wait...
72. Rashômon (1950) A rape movie. I avoid rape movies.
73. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
74. Modern Times (1936)
75. Hotel Rwanda (2004)
76. Singin’ in the Rain (1952) I'm barfing and gagging in the rain... The only musical worse than this is An American in Paris. I swear this movie helped kill musicals.
77. Sin City (2005) So darn cool
78. Rebecca (1940) Raise your hand if your skin crawled when Mrs Danvers fondled her mistress' underwear
79. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) Another one I'll watch over & over, especially in the theater
80. Sjunde inseglet, Det (1957) The Seventh Seal If you're curious about Ingmar Bergman, this is the film to see first
81. All About Eve (1950)
82. Some Like It Hot (1959) hated the drag jokes, adored Monroe
83. City Lights (1931)
84. Amadeus (1984)
85. Vita è bella, La (1997) Life is Beautiful and so is this movie
86. On the Waterfront (1954)
87. The Great Escape (1963)
88. Touch of Evil (1958)
89. The Prestige (2006)
90. The Elephant Man (1980)
91. Jaws (1975) Week after week I'd punk down my allowance just to see the green head pop out.
92. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
93. The Sting (1973)
94. Nuovo cinema Paradiso (1988) really good. really.
95. Once Upon a Time in America (1984)
96. The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
97. The Apartment (1960) Sorry, can't get with Jack Lemmon
98. Braveheart (1995)
99. Blade Runner (1982) Mmm, young Rutger Hauer....
100. The Great Dictator (1940)
101. Strangers on a Train (1951)
102. Batman Begins (2005)
103. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) Grown men assaulting innocent fresh faced boy scouts? Ahh, the iconic images never stop...
104. Ladri di biciclette (1948) Bicycle Theives
105. Salaire de la peur, Le (1953) Wages of Fear
106. High Noon (1952)
107. Ran (1985)
108. Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983) When Bear was about five or six, Spouse took him to meet Mark Hamill. They had a long discussion about how "real" his hand looks. Mark Hamill even did Joker's voice from the Batman cartoons. My adolescent crush became total adoration that day. What a sweetie.
109. The Big Sleep (1946)
110. The Wizard of Oz (1939) I still think the munchins were more scary than the flying monkeys. Besides the monkeys had better hats.
111. Notorious (1946)
112. Back to the Future (1985) Utterly forgetable except for Leah Thompson's performance in "the kiss" scene.
113. Fargo (1996)
114. Oldboy (2003)
115. Unforgiven (1992)
116. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
117. Donnie Darko (2001)
118. Ratatouille (2007)
119. Mononoke-hime (1997) I think I may have squirmed out of seeing Princess Mononoke when the kids brought it home. If I saw it, I don't remember it.
120. Cool Hand Luke (1967) One word. Carwash.
122. Yojimbo (1961) another Kurasawa film that I may or may not have seen
123. Per qualche dollaro in più (1965) For a Few Dollars More Blech some more
124. The Green Mile (1999)
125. Million Dollar Baby (2004)