Friday, February 22, 2008

Page 123 Meme

Usually when I get a new a book I have to stop myself from devouring it all in one sitting. People, I read War an Peace in two days. But my current read is just going so slow. When I bought Andrea di Robilant's Lucia: A Venetian Life in the Age of Napoleon, I thought I was getting a real potboiler. Instead it's like reading a textbook, with very little about the fascinating title character. Regarding the birth of her illegitamate son to an Irish officer in the Austrian army while she is married to another man, the author gives us a mere six paragraphs (I counted) devoting most of the chapter to military history. I feel gypped.

So withut any further ado, here is my entry into the page 123 meme:

1. Grab the nearest book.

2. Open the book to page 123.

3. Find the fifth sentence.

4. Post the text of the sentence in your journal along with these instructions.

5. Don't search around and look for the coolest book you can find. Do what's actually next to you.


Cercato turned out to be a two-bit schemer with very flimsy connections to Vienna.


I'm sorry to say it doen't get more exciting from there. Feh.