Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I Hear They Have A Great Salad Bar

A Word About Fish

Girlchild is part sea otter. She will eat clams, mussels, and oysters until she quite literally explodes. Although she is particular that her fish not be sauced, she has never met a fish dinner she didn't like.

Boychild would be much happier living in a family that ate sushi and miso and squid every night. I try to humor him as much as possible, but I just don't understand Japanese cooking.

Spouse grew up in a harbor town and assumes everyone eats seafood at least three times a week.

I am of the firm opinion that fish should only be eaten fresh and as a consequence see very little fish that looks appetizing living in my landlocked city in North Texas. And for the record? Rubber fish like Tilapia, Catfish and all other pond dwellers are an abomination fit only for the cat. Due to my fishy convictions, I only serve seafood four or five times a month.

My family hates me.

Now that Lent is upon us, I will follow our usual tradition of abstaining from serving any critters that did not lay eggs. I will skip the buttery sweets for dessert and increase the vegetarian entrees. I will even sob! forego my Friday night Chinese delivery.

My little family will be delighted with the constant supply of seafood over the next forty days, and I? Will try my very best not to scrunch up my nose and leave the table early every time I serve it. Last year I made it two weeks before I started making PB&Js for myself on the sly. This year doesn't look any more promising.

I wonder if I can talk Spouse into flying us to the coast on Friday nights. I'm flexible. Dinner in either Boston or San Francisco will be fine.