Monday, February 25, 2008

The Best Kind of Friend



My best friend K flew up from Houston to watch her brother's kids while they are away in Bali for the week. Lucky brother and SIL, lucky kids getting spoiled by Aunt K, and lucky me since I got to see her for the first time in months. Of course, things have changed a bit over the years...


3:00 a.m. February 25, 1982 The Old South Pancake House:
Me: Ugh. I can't face this food.
K: Is it the strawberry daiquiris or the ugly old men who tried to dance with us?
Me: Both.
K: Either way, German pancakes make anything better.
Me: You are so wise.


10:00 a.m. February 25, 2008 Mimi's Cafe:
Me: I can't have the juice or the muffin that comes with my omelette. What kind do you want?
K: Is it your diabetes or the thyroid?
Me: Both
K: Either way, no thanks. The Big M* will make me gain 10 pounds looking at it. Have some more coffee. Coffee makes anything better.
Me: You are so wise.


The conversation may change over time, but when I am with her it still feels like we are giggly young girls. That's the thing about best friends, they make you look forward to becoming a giggly old broad.



* We don't like to use the word 'menopause', even among friends. Sounds too much like pressing the pause button on our libidos (shudder).