Monday, December 10, 2007

Another Christmas List

By way of Cursing Mama:

Getting To Know Your Friends - Christmas Edition


1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
PAPER. ONLY PAPER. AROUND BOXES. ONLY BOXES. I HATE ODDLY SHAPED, WRAPPED WITHOUT A BOX PACKAGES. THE PAPER TEARS & THEY LOOK MESSY. OK, YES I HAVE GIFT WRAP ISSUES.
2. Real or artificial tree?
Artificial. The story of why is a post in itself.
3. When do you put up the tree?
This year on the third Saturday in Advent. We're pacing ourselves.
4. When do you take the tree down?
The day after Epiphany (January 7th).
5. Do you like Eggnog? Is it spiked?
Do Wise Men like myrrh? You betcha.
6. Favorite Gift you received as a child?
POGO PONY. Instead of being a hobby horse that just rocked in place, I could actually ride him around the room or around the block. I especially loved his "real horsehair" tail for braiding. Best. Toy. Evah.
7. Do you have a nativity scene?
A small one given to me by the ladies of the church as a wedding present, and a large one my eldest sister gave to me piece by piece starting on my 18th birthday (see #28).
8. Hardest person to buy for?
My mother. She always gives my gifts back a couple weeks later saying"Oh, you'll have more use for this than I will." Aargh!
9. Easiest person to buy for?
Me! Because I whine and moan for what I want starting in January and don't let up until Christmas. Hint
10. Worst Christmas gift ever received?
A watch that was identical to the one I wore all the time. Because? "I figured you liked it so much, you'd like another one."
11. Christmas Cards...Snail mail or E-mail?
Just call them guilt cards. I hate them. I hate them all.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
Miracle on 34th St." with adorable little Natalie Wood. We watch it together every Thanksgiving morning after the Macy's parade.
Although, I was rather delighted when Saturday Night Live re-told "It's a Wonderful Life" and the entire town beat Mr. Potter up. Ah... the classics.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
When I have money I shop. When I don't, I don't. We never shop on credit.
14. Have you ever 'recycled' a Christmas present?
No. See #8. Issues, issues...
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Flaming Christmas Pudding with rum hard sauce!
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
Call me old fashioned, I like the big honking colored lights. I used to do the designer trees with miniature lights to match the hand tied floral units and coordinating ribbons. Lately, though I'm not up for having my home look like a department store. Perfection seems cold somehow.
17. Favorite Christmas Song?
"I'll Be Home For Christmas". I cry every time I hear it. I don't know why.
18. Travel at Christmas or Stay Home?
Staying home this year.
19. Can you name Santa's Reindeer?
Yup.
20. Do you have an Angel or a Star on top of your tree?
A slightly tattered animated angel. The Bear looks forward to seeing her every year.
21. Open the Presents Christmas Eve or Morning?
Afternoon. Spouse usually works Christmas Day, so we wait for him to come home.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
All the people grubbing for money and pressies. Bah humbug!
23. Shopping...Mall or on-line?
Independent shops. I don't mall.
24. Do you decorate outside for Christmas or just inside (or at all?)
Big time outside light fan. Bunnie told me tonight that our display is not balanced and we need matching wall displays so it will look finished, but nothing gaudy. I told her she is a W.A.S.P. through and through.
25. Favorite Christmas cookie?
Baklava
26. Do you own Christmassy clothing or jewelry?
No.
27. Do you believe in Santa?
More than ever.
28. Favorite ornament:
It's not an ornament, it's the Madonna from my large creche. As a child, I always thought the baby in the manger of our creche looked like it was reaching up for a hug, and the adults were mean to not cuddle him, even if they were gazing in adoration. Stupid grownups. When I saw this figure of Mary holding Christ like a real mother, I fell in love. There is just something so sad in her eyes... I've never seen another one like it and I love it like crazy.