Saturday, November 03, 2007

The Not So Divine Mrs. M.

I have a 2:00 appointment today with Mrs. M. You know Mrs. M., don't you? She is the friend of the family who has been so good to you and yours over so many years that you tell her how much you are looking forward to seeing her as your stomach begins turning flip flops in dread. You see, my Mrs. M. (quite without realizing it, I'm sure) has a nasty knack for making me feel like a complete loser in zero point two seconds. At the two second mark I get angry and swear to never speak with her again. At about 10 seconds (see how I let that anger go a while?) I remember how kind her intentions are and begin strategizing ways to make her next visit less painful.

Last visit she came to my spotless home and asked me about my plans for redecorating. I had none. She then wanted to know about my job and my wonderful bosses then remarked that it won't be too much longer until the children are out of the house and I can go back to doing real work. After all, I don't want to keep wasting my college education forever. And of course the coup de resistance, "My dear, what a lovely dress! They are making such nice things in large sizes these days."

So! Although she has plans to come over to my house for a cup of tea and a long chat like last year, I am picking her up and taking her out for lunch at a nice restaurant. Our visit will have a set beginning, middle and end time and she will not have the opportunity to comment on my home. As for my husband and children, I will be much better able to keep her barbed comments under control when she won't actually see them. I'm afraid there is no strategy for hiding my waistline, but that is the price one pays when meeting a dear friend of the family who has been very good to my family and myself over many years. Wish me luck today with the (not so divine) Mrs. M.

Today I give thanks for the love of old family friends.