Sunday, November 11, 2007

Maybe I'll Let This Bandwagon Pass

Remember when I told you that I have a Big Mouth and that I will probably offend someone I like very much with one of my blogs? Well, here's just the blog to do it. When I first heard about Moms for Modesty I immediately went to check it out. As the mother of an adolescent daughter, the sexualization of children's clothing is a big deal for me. I get incredibly steamed when well meaning friends and relatives give Bunnie clothing that can only be described as sleazy. There is absolutely nothing in this world that sets my jaw tighter than seeing a little girl walking around with her bum hanging out her low slung, high cut shorts wearing a tee shirt with a smutty logo across the chest. So I was thrilled to see many of my fellow moms getting involved in a "modesty movement" and I rushed on over to read this:


Moms for Modesty Mission Statement

*As a Mom for Modesty I believe in common-sense modesty for girls and young women.
Um, not so sure about the "common-sense modesty" part since what is common sense to me and what is common sense for someone of another faith may be vastly different.

*I believe in refraining from sexualizing our girls and young women.
Absolutely! You said it!

*I believe that true beauty comes from within and I strive to teach my daughter(s) this truth.
Yes, yes, yes! Couldn't agree with you more.

*I will loyally shop at retailers that provide girls' and young women's clothing that is modest, affordable and stylish.
You know I would and I do.

*I believe that it is unwise and unfair to taunt boys and young men by permitting my daughter(s) to dress in an immodest manner.
Deal Breaker.

You see that one statement is as offensive to me as an eleven year old in hot pants wearing a tootsie-roll logo shirt that has "How many licks does it take?" emblazoned across her tiny pubescent chest.

Where was the righteous indignation when my sixth grade lab partner taunted me by borrowing his father's Old Spice so that I almost went blind peering down a microscope to avoid making eye contact with him?

Who was looking out for me when the boy sitting in front of me in eighth grade got the military haircut and taunted me with the exposed nape of his neck every morning while I was supposed to be learning to diagram sentences?

Where was the outraged father when the captain of my high school basketball team took off his shirt right there in the schoolyard for a game of one on one, purposely taunting me with his nearly visible muscles?

The point is little boys my daughter's age get stimulated by the swing of a blond ponytail or the allure of a freckled elbow. Most of them have to have the double entendres of smutty tee shirts like the one cited above explained to them.

"Young men" who become excited by little girls in sleazy clothes are called pervs. I don't give a rat's rear end about what they consider "fair". Bottom line, little girls are never fair game. Stop being such a perv and go back to wanking off to Britney Spears videos and rummaging though your mom's underwear drawer. Sheesh.

So for those of you who are still reading and not rushing off to delete me from your reader feed list, here's the bottom line. I have nothing but respect for the moms who signed the modesty petition. I applaud all the women who have the gumption to stand up and say their daughters and really all of our daughters deserve better. While I admire the good intentions of the Moms for Modesty movement, I cannot in good conscience add my name to the list. I will however promise that I am sending a message every day with my shopping dollars to the clothing manufacturers and retailers who are out of touch with what we want to see on the shelves of our local stores.

Today I give thanks that my daughter's idea of racy clothing is wearing a plain pink tee shirt instead of a sweater set.