Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday-Gift Bottles

If Protective Services comes to my house this Saturday, I will have some 'splainin' to do. My kitchen counter will be lined with empty wine bottles. I'm telling you the place is going to look like Courtney Love's living room a week after rehab. You see, like Mrs. Robinson I hide wine bottles in the pantry with my cupcakes. Unlike Mrs. Robinson's collection, my carefully selected bottles are empty and put away until the holidays when they get a new life as gift basket goodies.

Here's what I do: If we enjoy a nice wine with a pretty bottle, I soak the label off and paste the label in my wine tasting diary. Then I sterilize the bottle in my dishwasher and re-use it for homemade bath salts, gourmet oils and vinegars and my favorite gift of all, lavender water or rose hip water for laundry.

After filling the bottles with gifts from my herb garden, I pop in a fresh cork available at brewery supply stores, The Container Store, Pier One and even sometimes my favorite hardware store. I carefully check the seal, then tie it with a pretty ribbon or piece of raffia. Then I attach folding gift tags that say what it is and how to enjoy it.

It's a great way to make use of extra garden goodies like rosemary, lavender, fennel and mint and they can be given as cute parting gifts at your next wine and cheese. That's what works for me. For more Works For Me Wednesday ideas visit Rocks In My Dryer. Cheers!