Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Why I Am A Proud Feminist #1

When I was four, my mother asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up. I said I want to be a fireman. Instead of pointing out that that would make me a fire lady (we didn't use the term firefighters in 1967), my parents spoiled me with a top of the line fire engine pedal car with a bell, hose, ladders and a platform on the back for a second child to ride along. This baby was so big and heavy, I could barely move it. I was the envy of the neighborhood.


While playing with it a new boy told me to get off of my ladder. Girls cannot be firemen. I tried arguing with him, but in the end I had to carry two year old Tommy from next door over my shoulder and across the lawn before that boy would admit he was mistaken. Just for spite I didn't drive around him when it was time to put my fire engine away. I almost ran him down. His parting shot? "Girls can't drive!". I just grinned.