Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday-Kitchen Sink Pasta

Since I know y'all are dying to know what I made for dinner, I'm calling it Kitchen Sink Pasta.
I made it like this:


slather (y'all tell me if I get too technical with these fancy cooking terms) of olive oil
1 box Penne pasta
1 tsp. chopped garlic
1 tin of Anchovies, rinsed and patted dry, chopped
2 handfuls little bitty grape tomatoes, halved
A few capers Dang! out of capers!
1 small tin of button mushrooms
1 small jar marinated artichokes
1/2 cup of chopped onion Nah, I'm just not feelin' it tonight.
1 medium zucchini sliced into pinkie finger thick 2" strips
1 tin of canellini beans oops. Forgot to take it out of my cupboard. (Protein is over-rated anyway)
1 cup chicken stock
2 Tbs.
corn starch
2 Tbs.
prepared pesto
1 cup white wine plus unlimited wine for the chef

Step 1. Pour chef a generous glass of wine and put 1 box Penne pasta on the boil.
Step 2. Trip over fat cat (who bears a marked resemblance to Marlon Brando in the Godfather), because he smelled the anchovies and is demanding his "tribute". Saute garlic, anchovies, tomatoes, mushrooms, artichokes and zucchini in olive oil 'til just a little brown.
Step 3. Pour chicken stock into pan, deglazing all that yummy goodness off the bottom. Bring to a boil. Check the Penne. Pour more wine down the chef.
Step 4. Mix pesto, cornstarch thoroughly. Mix wine into that. Now pour the mixture into your pan and let it simmer until thickened. Check Penne. Curse at Penne for taking so long to cook.
Step 5. Drain pasta (at last!). Pour saucy kitchen sink mixture over Penne pasta. Stir it up. Dump on a platter. Top with an obscene amount of shredded Parmesan and serve with fresh warm foccaccia bread. Oh. and a salad. I guess. If you want something healthy like that. Whatever. I was too tipsy content with my meal to bother.
And for those of you who were waiting for the final result? Delicious! No leftovers! No peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! Just happy teenagers asking for seconds. So there you go. Yummy grown-up food in about 30 minutes. Works for me.
For some other practical and easy ideas, visit Works For Me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer.