Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Eighteen in Ninety-three

Spouse and I needed a day together without the children. Now that Autumn is here, we decided to play a round of golf. We were paired with a cute couple who like us were playing more for fun. I was a little concerned at first since we haven't been playing much due to the summer heat and the other couple was a bit above our skill level. I was afraid we'd slow them down too much. Then I noticed they had a little ice chest filled with beer and decided that would even the playing field as we went along. Y'all know I enjoy an occasional bevvie but on the course it's strictly water and sports drinks for me.

And now here is the part where I almost brag. The sixth hole on this particular course is a short but tricky one over a huge hazzard. We all took our best shot and were heading up to the green when the Marshall comes rushing down to us. "Who hit that shot? The one with the pink ball?" (Yes, I play with a neon pink golf ball because a. I'm a girly girl and b. I'm extremely nearsighted and it's easy to spot). OK, he's smiling so I probably didn't hit anyone or break anything. "Your ball landed six inches from the cup! Congratulations!" Woo-hoo! Yay me! An almost hole-in-one! Of course I was so rattled after that I could barely make contact with the ball, much less hit straight.

As we turned the back nine our partners popped into the club house for another six pack and the weather turned significantly warmer. By the time we got to the 15th, I was far more interested in finding shade than I was in finding the hole. The other couple didn't mind in the least. The shots turned wilder, the jokes turned saltier, the scoring became much more creative and a marvelous time was had by all.

When we said our goodbyes it was 93 degrees out. My head was pounding from the heat and the ragweed landscaping and I thought I was gonna die. I came home, took a cool bath and plenty of Benedryl and Ibuprofen, bagged my plans for the rest of the day and went to bed. When Spouse woke me up, he'd picked up both kids from school, mowed the lawn and walked the dog. How does he do it?

Now I'm off to the golf store. I need to find a club that will hit six inches farther so I can tell better golf stories.