Saturday, September 01, 2007

Book MeMe


This one is from dcrmom at Musings of a Housewife. She said "If you're reading, consider yourself tagged." and since I'm reading my current book based on her review of it and since I'm hoping to glean more good book recommendations, here we go!

What are you reading right now?
Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg. There is joy on every page. I wish it would never end. Best thing? The chapters are two to five pages long so I can comfortably sneak a chapter in while doing other things.

Do you have any idea what you’ll read when you’re done with that?
I always have at least two on my list since I'm a big Half Price Books gal. Sure, I'm always the last to read something wonderful, but the thrifty Scot in me won't permit new hardbacks unless it's Christmas. I'm thinking I need a bracing non-fiction to break up the string of really fun reads I've been enjoying lately, but I'm open to all suggestions.

What magazines do you have in your bathroom right now?
Ummm, that's nasty. Well, OK maybe not if you're a book in the bubble bath kind of gal. I'm just not.

What’s the worst thing you were ever forced to read?
Tenth Grade. Lord of the Flies by William Golding. The premise is that under duress and lacking the structure of civilization, man reverts to his most base instincts. I find this idea completely repugnant and in my opinion, absolutely wrong. I think the teacher thought we were all wild heathens, and this was his way of warning us that he was watching for any "Flies" like behaviour.

What’s the one book you always recommend to just about everyone?
I bug everybody to read Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster of Jennsylvania, to be immediately followed with Bright Lights Big Ass the sequel. Because? She is me. If I were younger. And prettier. And didn't have children. And lived in Chicago. Whatever. I am going to elbow everyone out of my way so I can be the first to buy her next work in progress.

Admit it, the librarians at your library know you on a first name basis, don’t they? Feh. Bad city library. Very bad.

Is there a book you absolutely love, but for some reason, people never think it sounds interesting, or maybe they read it and don’t like it at all?
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant is a must read. Don't tell me it sounds like history. Don't tell me it sounds like Sunday School stuff. And for goodness sake, don't tell me you heard it was blasphemous! Just read it.

Do you read books while you do other things?
I love books on CD so I can listen while I drive.

When you were little, did other children tease you about your reading habits?
In school they had a book of the month type deal. They sent home this flyer with about fifty choices. On delivery day the other kids brought home one or two. I brought home 10 or twelve.
After a while the other kids stopped ordering and just asked to borrow mine.

What’s the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn't put it down?
Devil in the Junior League by Linda Francis Lee. I thought it was a hoot. Although Miss Lee? You've lived in New York too long. No self-respecting Texas deb shops at Saks. We all go to Neimans. Thought you should know.

If you're reading, consider yourself tagged. And let me know if you play along! Oh, and if you send me an email at txpoppet@gmail.com , I'll pass along my hardback copy of Standing in the Rainbow and no, I won't let you pay for the shipping, it's my pleasure. Books are meant to be read, not to gather dust and I love to pass them along.