Thursday, August 30, 2007

IT'S A CROCK: Zucchini and Lamb Omar


I wanted to try something new this week and since I know that really there is nothing new under the sun, I went hunting in my mum's cookbooks. Flipping through one in particular, I had flashbacks to sitting at the kitchen table with my sisters, staring at my plate and waiting for the chance to feed my dinner to the dog without getting caught.


My mother was an excellent cook. One of the best. However, she saw no reason why six year olds wouldn't want to eat "Anchovy Cream Cheese Fondue" or "Braised Beef Tongue A La Mode" shudder. But I digress.

This recipe is adapted from Fondue, Chafing Dish and Casserole Cookery by Margaret Deeds Murphy, 1969. She called it Zucchini and Lamb Tehran but I'm afraid the current political climate there puts me off my dinner, so we'll rename this re-vamped recipe after the great poet of Persia (who probably did not look like Cornell Wilde). It was originally intended as a casserole, but I made a few changes to adapt it to my slow cooker and voila! The kids wanted to know if they could have it again tomorrow. Ding, ding, ding! It's a winner!


Zucchini and Lamb Omar Approximate cost as prepared: $12.00


6 Medium sized Zucchini
Salt and Pepper
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
3/4 cup chopped Onion
1 Clove Garlic, finely chopped
1-1/2 Pounds Ground Lamb
1/4 cup Rice
1/2 teaspoon Salt
Freshly ground Pepper to taste
1 teaspoon grated Lemon rind
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1 cup Chicken Broth


Peel and slice 3 zucchini into thin disks. Place in the bottom of the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil and saute onion, garlic, lamb and raw rice until lamb is just gray, not browned. While heating the lamb mixture, peel and slice the remaining zucchini. When the lamb is ready, mix 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, lemon rind and mint in with the lamb. Layer lamb mixture over zucchini in slow cooker. Top with the remaining zucchini slices. Lightly salt and pepper. Pour broth over the top. Heat in slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours.

Feeds six.