Thursday, August 16, 2007

IT'S A CROCK: Pork Chop Dump

With Bear's football practice and Bunnie's school registration, it was a typical running around Thursday. Oh! and there is no way I am going to miss one minute of the "So You Think You Can Dance" finale-Go Sabra! That leaves no time to cook or even stop to chop. What's a mother to do? I go to the dump. That is to say my infinite dump recipe file.
What? You don't have a dump recipe file? I'll bet you do. Most of my dump recipes are mid-century messes that usually involve dumping a can of veggies and a can of condensed soup into a cassarole for a cheap quick meal. Notoriously high in sodium and fat, these are definitely not staples in our home but on days like today I'm glad I keep a well stocked dump section in my cupboards (just so you know, it's the bottom shelf on the far right) but while you're peeking, please note that I only keep the low fat, no added sugar and low sodium version canned goods.
After a quick survey of my deep freeze contents, this is what we had for dinner tonight.
Pork Chop Dump Approximate cost as prepared: $8.00
1 Tablespoon Butter
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
6 Pork Chops (I like boneless, but bone-in is fine. Just not too huge like the thick butterfly cuts. They take up too much room in the crockpot)
1 Can Cream of Celery condensed soup, undiluted (may substitute Cream of Chicken)
1 Small (6.5 oz.) Can of Sliced Mushrooms
1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Dried Basil
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Large Can of Veg-All, drained (may subtititute1 bag of frozen Veg-All)
Sprig of Fresh Rosemary

Brown Chops in the Butter and Oil. No need to cook through, just get brown on both sides.
As you are browning the Chops, Dump all the other ingredients except the Veg-All in the slow cooker and stir to mix well. Add the Veg-All and stir to coat. Place the Chops on top. Cover and cook on Low 8-10 hours. With a pair of kitchen scissors, snip little bits of Rosemary to go on top right before serving.
Feeds 4-6
This is my own concoction. No self respecting cookbook would print something this easy.

We had ours with a tossed salad, rolls and apple sauce. What could be faster on a crazy day?