Sunday, July 08, 2007

Just Peachy

It's that time of year again. Next weekend is the Parker County Peach Festival and this year there is more to celebrate than usual. Check out this article in the Dallas Morning News:

Naturally I knew there was a bumper crop since I hied myself down to the Farmer's Market this morning looking to do some canning. What I saw there amazed me. The peaches were so perfect, so lovely, so BIG I knew I'd never be able to get them into my regular quart jars. So, I hied myself down to the grocery for wide mouthed jars.
Imagine my surprise when the peaches were so big only two would fit in a jar. What to do? I ended up having to pit and halve them just to get 3 or four in the jars. Who ever heard of Spiced Peach Halves? Amazing. Today I put up six quarts. Next weekend I'll do the same. I made 12 quarts last year and it was enough to get us through to Easter. Judging by how lovely and flavourful the Weatherford Peaches are this season, I think I'd better try my hand at some peach butter, pie filling, preserves, relish, oh my! It's raining peaches!