Thursday, July 19, 2007

IT'S A CROCK- Irish Short Ribs


Among my household appliances there is truly one that stands head and shoulders above the rest for convenience. I love my crock pot. My mother swore by her pressure cooker to hurry up and make dinner when she was too busy to hang out in the kitchen. That thing terrifies me. Faced with the same dilemma of what to make for dinner when I'm at the office all day and I know the last thing I'll want to do after coming home is prepare food, I reach for my handy dandy crock pot. Most Thursday nights I fire it up for a nice break from the routine. Here's what's cookin' tonight:
Irish Short Ribs Approximate cost as prepared: $14.00
4 Pounds beef short ribs
I buy boneless with a 1/2" fat edge and trim fat off them entirely after searing
2 Pounds small red creamer potatoes, scrubbed and scored
1 Pound baby no-peel carrots, rinsed and cut in half chunks
2 onions, cut into thick wedges
1 bottle beer (12 ounce, lager not stout)
8 Tablespoons Brown or Dijon mustard (smooth texture, not ground works best for the sauce), divided
3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, divided
2 Tablespoons cornstarch

1. Broil ribs 6 inches from heat on rack in broiler pan 10 minutes or until browned on both sides. Place potatoes, carrots, onions in the bottom of the crock pot. Trim meat and Place on top of vegetables.

2. Combine beer, 6 tablespoons of mustard and 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire. Pour into crock pot. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours (or 10 hours on low) or until the meat is tender.

3. Transfer meat and vegetables to a platter; keep warm. Pour broth into saucepan. Combine cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water. Stir into broth with the remaining 2 tablespoons mustard and 1 tablespoon Worcestershire. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 1-2 minutes or until thickened, stirring often. Serve as gravy.

Feeds my family of 4 generously.

Adapted from an old French's brand mustard company recipe book