Saturday, July 14, 2007

Bunnie's Mystery Date


I believe I've mentioned before that Bunnie is fascinated by vintage girl's activities. Well, she stumbled across an old ad for Mystery Date and she knew this must be hers.

Ah! The forbidden fruit of my childhood! My feminist mother was appalled by this seemingly innocuous board game. She was absolutely convinced it would turn her daughters into mindless, giggling, boy-crazy twits and therefore it was prohibited from entering our home. I tried to surreptitiously play it at my cousin's house, but since Sandra Kay was six years older than I, I didn't actually have anyone to play with. What's the fun of forbidden fruit if there is no one to share it with?

After a three month search and a large wad of cash, I learned that I was not the only one denied and in search of this particular forbidden fruit. It seems that gay men waxing nostalgic about sneaking off to play big sister's game have turned this into one of the most sought after collectibles on e-bay. I saw mint condition games selling for as much as $200 on e-bay before I scored Bunnie's on Craigslist. Who knew?

And now for your vicarious pleasure, the video that started it all: