Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentines Day Surprise



On Valentines Day I went to work. After work I made dinner to bring to my sister's family. She was in the hospital delivering her fourth and fifth children. Twin boys, one dark one fair, both healthy (mother healthy, too) thank God. Once her family was fed, I made dinner for my own darling chicks and then Spouse took me out for a romantic dinner at our local hole-in-the-wall, Moni's.

It's a BYOB Italian joint so Spouse brought a huge bottle of wine that went perfectly with our yummy baked eggplant parmigiana and cannelloni. I had such a wonderful time I did not keep track of how many times Spouse topped off my glass.

When I woke up this morning and tested the floor to make certain the room had stopped spinning, I shaved the fur from my tongue and suddenly realized that last night we decided to adopt that third child we've been talking about for the past twenty years. At first I wasn't sure if it was something I dreamed, but I asked Spouse and he said yes, he meant what he said. Now is a good time to begin the adoption process.

I spent all day reading up on Eastern European Adoptions and thinking about what it would really mean both financially and in the way it will affect our family dynamics. In the end, I suppose it all comes down to one thing. We have love. We have stability. We want to share what we have with a child who needs us. Now we'll see if I have the nerve to go the distance.