Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sifting Through the Rubble of My Last Dinner Party


I would be happy to report that my sorority meeting on Thursday was effortlessly elegantly. Unfortunately it will be held up as an example of why we should have our meetings at restaurants. It all began as a tiny niggling snowball of overcooked food that rolled into a guest bathroom that was not cleaned properly (credit to Spouse for telling me not to worry, he'd take care of it and deferring it to our teenage son minutes before the guests arrived), that culminated in an avalanche of disgustingness when Spouse and kids came home from the movies and let the cat in.
Carlos the cat did not wait for a dinner invitation. I was on the other side of the room with card tables and chairs blocking my way as I watched helplessly. He waddled up onto a chair, planted his front paws firmly on my elegant buffet table and helped himself to the butter dish. It was like a slow motion movie moment: "Noooooooo....." as he luxuriously licked my artfully arranged individual butter pats, casually nodding to the guests as if to say "Thanks for the spread gals, don't be shy." Oh the horror.