Monday, January 16, 2006

...they toil not, neither do they spin...



Started the weekend under full sail. I was up before the sun helping Bear get fed and packed and ready for his overnight Scout trip. I had him at the church by seven with his sack lunch and the hat, gloves and long underwear boys would never pack without their mothers.

I grabbed a cup of coffee and spent the next two hours planting and weeding in the iris patch. Then it was into the kitchen to make eggs and waffles for Bunny and to start the laundry.

After breakfast we watched Lilies of the Field http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057251/ . I'm not exactly clear why this was the movie Poitier won an Academy Award for in 1963, but it was a lovely gentle bit of fluff and Bunny and I enjoyed it.

Next it was off to the bathroom "beauty parlour" for an hour's worth of hair care for the girl. Once Bunny's hair was soft and shiney and lovely it was time for me to get dressed for my optometrist appointment. That's when it happened.

Wham! I was on the bathroom floor retching into the toilet trying to figure out what I ate or did to bring this on. Spouse called the optometrist to re-schedule and (reluctantly) tossed out the leftover meatloaf that I ate for my breakfast. I thought about the grocery shopping and laundry and cleaning I had planned for the rest of the day and I went to bed... and I stayed in bed.

This morning we all slept in late. I did some laundry. I pottered in the garden. I picked up 3 no-prep dinners at the grocers and spent the rest of the day chatting with Bear about his trip, reading the story Bunny had written and cuddling on the couch and in the hot tub with my spouse.

I suppose our bodies know when they need to stop. I'm a little thick-headed so I guess I need a total shut down before I realize that it isn't healthy to run all the time. It's all right to stop and re-charge. Tonight I feel rested, refreshed and ready to take on the new week.

Therefore, I tell you, don't be anxious for your life: what you will eat, or what you will drink; nor yet for your body, what you will wear. Isn't life more than food, and the body more than clothing? See the birds of the sky, that they don't sow, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns. Your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren't you of much more value than they? "Which of you, by being anxious, can add one moment to his lifespan? Why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow. They don't toil, neither do they spin, yet I tell you that even Solomon in all his glory was not dressed like one of these.