Thursday, January 12, 2006

Spring cleaning in January


Spent two hours this morning reorganizing the linen closet. The kids are great about folding and putting away laundry, but I still need to go through everything a few times a year to make sure it's all useable and easy to get to. It's been about 5 months since the last time I checked it and I was really suprised to see that half of the bedsheets were twin size. We replaced all our twin beds with full size beds last April.

This brings up 2 questions. Why didn't I take care of the twin sheets sooner and what should I do with them now? Bear in mind that I am the queen of tossing things out. Spouse and I have running battles over his old stuff (he's a packrat) and the junkyard that is HIS garage (he's been promising to clear out the old furniture, etc. for over a year) but I don't keep any outgrown clothes or old greeting cards or any other clutter. After years of living in a 600 sq. ft. condo, I just fell into the habit of tossing anything that's not being used. So why do I still have all these outsized sheets cluttering my closet? If I keep looking into my home's other closets, what else will I find? Is this some kind of metaphor for my life? Is this a wake up call to clear the clutter from my mind, body and spirit? Or am I just not as observant as I thought?

I looked the twin sheets over. Some were incomplete sets. Some were faded or discoloured. No rips or stains. I decided to save them. In three years the boy will be going off to college. He'll need sheets for his dorm room. I folded each set carefully, tied them with some grosgrain ribbon and locked them in the bottom drawer of my linen press along with Bear's 3rd grade paper on the American Goldfinch and the lock of hair I kept from his first haircut. Really, you just never know when this clutter might come in handy.